I had someone send me this morning and I decided to share it on Facebook which generated a good discussion, so after a few comments this afternoon on other topics, I thought I would share this here and share a few comments…..
How many Social Media consultants does it take to change a light bulb?
“Look, if all you’re thinking about is changing the light bulb, you’re missing the point. The idea is to first lurk around in the room and watch other people changing light bulbs.
Then, start providing commentary and encouragement to those that are changing light bulbs. Then, build relationships with these people in the lighting community.
Then – and only then, should you even think about trying to change the light bulb.”
So, the comments that came back included:-
- Or just pinch the lightbulb changing technique and promote it as your own …..
- Publish books about it, have weekly webinars, call yourself a guru and use buzz words baffling the other even smaller fish in the tiny pond you fish in. All that without actually having done it yourself in any remarkable way.
- Don’t get me on the fish pond! It’s polluted!
- I wish I was joking but fact is that you’ll always find people who can be impressed with the veneer presented. Utter lack of integrity with quite a few and I honestly can’t understand how some people say things with a straight face.
- Oh yes, purport to be successful yet scratch the surface and you find nothing at all to back it up!
- Just be yourself! Generally people can spot BS at a mile radius!
- Sadly however people are sucked in … The money just goes round and round. There’s more than one where you’d think they are living in luxury, with expensive cars, holidays and glam life style .. The reality being far from it.
- Oh for sure – I see it all the time! Most of these ‘so called experts!!’
- Entrepreneurs are usually in debt up to their eyeballs – trying to impress others with this false status & kudos. It totally baffles me!
The comments above, got me thinking about this, especially following on from my last post! Also, I then saw many tweets appear together with posts on Facebook from various platforms (I must admit to also been guilty of this too!!!) where people are posting their Daily News from Paper.li or Scoop It, to name but a few…..why?
Clearly by posting these, yes you are sharing information! Yes you are potentially expanding your audience! But….oh wait a minute – is this not a form of deceit like mentioned above?
Just think about the above and how you are you sharing things……that is right, you are not! When you set these feeds up, you are asked what interests you and then they pull items and articles from the internet and share them on your behalf! So, is this deceit? Fraud? Misleading?
If you were asked about these posts but you (as you most likely haven’t seen it or read) as you didn’t put it together, wouldn’t know what it said or was included..so this is fake, misleading…..etc……this is not engaging with your audience – is it?
So, think about what you are doing when posting because if you get asked you could end up looking silly or even will share it for you and then the recipients that see it, may ask you things because they think you are experienced in that area but you will end being found out and found to be out of your depth……