Who is uses their Circle of Influence to be your Influencer?
People kept asking myself:-
- who do you know?
- why do you follow them?
- bet they don’t even know who are?
- they don’t care about you!
All the above are just some of the common points made and during 2012, I started to actually question what these people actually did for me. What I then did, was that I started looking at these “Top Influencers”, “Key Influencers” and “Top Inspirers” and actually I was surprised and made me question what these people are all about.
Take for example Zig Ziglar (who died 28th November 2012) or Seth Godin who yes you can say are influencers and inspiring people from reading their books or listening to their Podcast’s but is this not just one way traffic? Yes there are many books, tapes, CD’s, Podcast’s and videos of many different people (including the likes of Seth and Zig, and the only reason for mentioning them, is that both their names are virtually always mentioned by when asked about influencers) but you may be learning and picking up tips, but how much is really relevant to you? Isn’t this all just one way traffic?
So, taking this further, I sat down and looked at everyone I was advised or told to follow and I looked – guess what happened? Virtually (I would probably say more than 95%) nothing happened! It was all one way traffic of them posting information out constantly, emails been sent, sales promotion sent – effectively, wanting to sell me their story and buy from them! There was a very small percentage who occasionally replied to people and some, if they did, it was to the same inner circle!
Thus, I went through 2013 looking and taking notice of who I engaged with and seeing what happened. Was it an auto message? Was it a cut and paste? Did they engage in conversation?
By the start of Quarter 4 in 2013, I actually identified the people who you could engage with and talk to, with them replying back on the topics raised or being discussed. Once, I had this, I had a starting point and then I started this blog and with the discussions it created, I realised many felt the same. With the list formed, I went ahead and released it on 28th of November 2013 and it again, it created so much comment as people completely understood where I was coming from.
So, for me, my list of influencers will no doubt keep growing as people I discover and engage with expands; and should I think they will be like this in a wider circle, I will then add them to my list….
In summary and as a quick recap:-
Thus my reasons for this list is that too many people:-
- post/tweet the same things or old information
- don’t both to do anything new, update or provide informative information
- provide which is new and possibly ground breaking information, applications or products
Thus, the criteria I have used for producing this list is:-
- Engage – these people actually communicate with you or re-tweet your tweets and take part in the dialogue on your posts or blogs
- Futuristic – these people are forward thinkers and look at emerging products, projects or technology based products and projects
- Informative – these people actually aren’t just restricting themselves to their profession but providing information on other professions too with their thoughts on those areas
- Influential – their Circles of Influence are people who can you help further plus they are happy to introduce you to their connections within their circle
- Inspire – These people actually offer words of wisdom and inspiration whether their own or sharing them from famous Inspirational People
- Networker’s – these people actually do take part in networking whether on-line or in person as well as hosting events or attending them
I will keep updating as we go, but here they are so far:-
The images contained within this article here were taken via a word or terminology search on www.google.com and images found via the images tab